Sunday 26 December 2010

Engagement- The Official Story

Dan and I got engaged! This is the official story of how it happened from my side:

If you haven't read 'The story of Han and Dan' in March 2009 that is the prequel. I will start this part of our life story on Monday 6th December, when we both had a day off work and went for a lovely walk on Winter Hill- which is a wintery hill with snow and horses near Bolton (I'm not sure what happens to it in the summer.) Dan had been acting suspiciously for months and we had talked about getting engaged quite a bit, although it was all a bit in code, we used the word 'marriage' very rarely but we'd quite often discuss issues that are further ahead than that such as: would we find out the sex of our potential baby before it was born?- this implied marriage but was a bit less scary because it was more hypothetical.

From my detective work I had worked out the probability of him proposing on the Winter Hill day to be around 70% and I have since discovered that he was planning on doing it then but the ring didn't arrive in time. So we had a lovely day but no proposal. I wondered after that day if it was ever going to happen, and then came the actual day that he proposed. (19th December.) This day was the last day before I went back home to the midlands to see my family and make a life sized elephant. Dan drove from southport to Liverpool to visit me and we had our pretend Christmas where we exchanged gifts. We decided it would be fun to dress up so Dan dressed as Santa and I dressed as a elf. What I didn't realise till afterwards was that he had to stop at the service station on the way to buy credit and then phone my Dad to ask his permission. It didn't go as well as it could of because Sarah picked up the phone (who sounds like me) so then Dan thought he had accidentally phoned me and started talking to her as if she was me before realising, then he introduced himself as Daniel not Dan which further confused my Dad who didn't know who he was.- he did all this dressed as Santa, only to arrive at mine and see me in my normal clothes coz I was too embarrassed to be a elf on my own in my house before he got there.

We swapped presents and stuff and then Dan for some unknow reason (now I know) wanted to go to my room, so we went up and I was tiding the room around him a bit and then he said 'I've got an extra little gift for you, close your eyes' so I did and when I opened then he was down on one knee saying 'will you marry me' holding a ring. I was very surprised but said yes straight away. I'm glad I thought about my answer before though, you can't really decide something like that on the spot, especially as in the moment their was so many weird emotions that if he'd have asked something less important like 'is a sausage dog a type of dog or a type of sausage?' I would have found that very had to answer. I really have no memory of what happend in the next 1o minutes or so, I know we talked and hugged but I don't think either of us made much sense because of all the adrenalin.
After that time we started telling people which was really fun. We phoned his parents first just to give me Dad an extra few minutes to digest the fact that Dan had asked permission, before he had to digest the fact that I'd said yes. Then we went to our church carol service and told people so there was this lovely scene of candles everywhere and the gospel choir singing and then someone would scream or jump up and down because we'd just told them. afterwards we went to a bit of a party at Tina's and Luke bought us some champagne to celebrate. That night I only got 1 hours sleep because I was so excited. Here is the ring, I love it! (even though my sister says it looks like a uterus)

p.s Some people might think it's weird that he proposed dressed as Santa, but I think that everybody who proposes should be dressed as an old fat man because it's easy to say yes to an attractive man in their 20's ...but you have to remember they will one day be old and fat so by agreeing to marry an old fat man anything else is a bonus.

1 comment: